How to Use Arestin
What is ARESTIN?
ARESTIN® is the first locally administered time-released antibiotic, encapsulated in Microspheres that effectively kills the germs that cause periodontal disease or periodontitis.
ARESTIN® Microspheres contain (minocycline hydrochloride) the antibiotic minocycline, is a member of the tetracycline family.
Minocycline exerts its antimicrobial activity by inhibiting protein synthesis and has been shown to be effective against the pathogens associated with periodontal disease.
Why use ARESTIN?
ARESTIN® is indicated as an adjunct to scaling and root planing (SRP) procedures for reduction of pocket depth in patients with adult periodontitis.
ARESTIN® may be used as part of a periodontal maintenance program which includes good oral hygiene.
ARESTIN® Microspheres provide sustained release of minocycline that is bioadhesive and completely bioresorbed Once ARESTIN® is inserted, it immediately adheres to the periodontal pocket for up to 21 days.
How to Administer:
ARESTIN® requires no preparation before administration.
It is already premixed, premeasured, and does not require refrigeration.
After scaling and root planing (SRP) procedures, applying 1 mg of ARESTIN® is fast and easy, with no need for local anesthesia.
1. Insert the ARESTIN® cartridge into the syringe handle while exerting slight pressure.
2. Twist until you feel and hear the cartridge “lock” into place.
3. To reach difficult-to-access areas, gently bend the tip if needed, leaving the blue cap on. Bending the tip after removal of the blue cap may cause powder to release prematurely.
4. Place the cartridge tip into the periodontal pocket, parallel to the long axis of the tooth. Be sure not to force the tip into the base of the pocket.
5. Gently press the thumb ring to express the ARESTIN® powder while withdrawing the cartridge tip away from the base of the pocket. If you feel any resistance during delivery, withdraw the device further.
6. Once delivery is complete, retract the thumb ring and remove the ARESTIN® cartridge with your free hand. Appropriately discard the cartridge, get a fresh cartridge for each site and sterilize the syringe prior to reuse.
Unlike other treatments, ARESTIN® Microspheres are completely bioresorbable, so you will not need to remove the powder.
Patient Instructions After Treatment:
Patients should be instructed to delay brushing the treated areas for 12 hours after treatment with ARESTIN® and to abstain from using interproximal cleaning devices around the treated area for 10 days.
Patients should also avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods such as popcorn or caramel that could traumatize the gingiva.