How to use an Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor by Homedics
What is it?
This automatic blood pressure monitor is made by Homedics and uses smart sense technology to detect blood pressure enabling it to inflate and deflate automatically for each persons needs. When the measurement is complete the monitor displays systolic pressure, diastolic pressure and pulse readings.
Blood Pressure measurements taken with these devices are considered equivalent to a practitioner using a Cuff and stethoscope ausculatory method by some. It is easier for staff members to use automated devices. Patients can take and monitor their blood pressure at home.
What is Blood pressure?
Blood is carried from the heart to all parts of your body in vessels called arteries. Blood pressure is the force of the blood pushing against the walls of the arteries. Each time the heart beats, it pumps blood out into the arteries. It is produced primarily by the contraction of the heart muscle which beats 60-70 times per minute at rest.
The standard guidelines for normal blood pressure is 120/80. However, blood pressure varies among different people depending on age, sex, race, ect.
Blood pressure is always given with two numbers:
• The systolic pressure is the maximum pressure in an artery at the moment when the heart is beating and pumping blood through the body.
• The diastolic pressure is the lowest pressure in an artery in the moments between beats when the heart is resting.
When you record the two measurements, they are written down with the systolic pressure first or the top number, and the diastolic pressure second or the bottom number (for example, 120/80). If your blood pressure is 120/80, you say that it is “120 over 80.”
Why take blood pressure?
Blood pressure is a simple and painless procedure that gives us allot of useful information about our patients the heart and body condition. We monitor blood pressure to help our patients know if they are at risk.
How to use it:
1. Turn on the unit. Remove any bulky clothing. For accurate measurement choose the correct cuff size by making sure the arrow falls in the solid color line shown.
2. Position the cuff edge 0.8-1.2 inches above the elbow.
3. Center the tub over the middle of the arm. Pull the end of cuff evenly around the arm allowing two fingers to fit between cuff and arm.
4. Support the patients arm on the arm rest of chair so cuff is the same level as the heart. Advise the patient not to talk or move during reading.
5. Press user select button select user 1 or 2.
6. Press start/stop button to confirm. Make sure cuff is on properly, press start button again.
7. After 2 seconds the display will blink 0 and the monitor will automatically inflate.
8.When the measurement is complete the cuff will deflate and the reading will appear on the screen. (See picture below.)
9. Record reading in patients chart.
If the reading is high re-take at the end of the appointment and re- record.
If you get another high reading and for the best reliability, you might suggest the patient see their physician for a follow up and long term monitoring to rule out hypertension.
Walgreens Homedics is the brand used for this demo:
Featuring Smart Measure™ technology:
o Takes accurate blood pressure and pulse readings with simple one-touch operation.
o Automatically inflates and deflates at the appropriate level.
o Delivers personalized, accurate and comfortable measurement.
* Date and time stamp.
* Risk category indicator.
o Alerts user when readings fall into prehypertensive, stage 1 or stage 2 hypertensive risk categories.
* Large size digits.
o Easy to read display.